Sunday, March 7, 2010

STOREFRONT OWNER

Owning my own business was the absolute best thing I could have ever done besides having my beautiful children and marrying my wonderful husband.  Black own businesses in my town are few and far between but they prosper.  They have been in business longer than the norm.  I too hopefully with GOD's good grace will surpass the expectations of the people that would not finance me.  We are a very small store located in a 300 sqft space with limited products.  GOD placed in my spirit to do something.  I don't know if anyone knows what I am saying but it was so strong that I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, I would break down crying because it seemed so impossible.  I thought I was going crazy.  I would tell my husband that I would put the thought out of my mind and focus on the career that I have as a licensed auto insurance agent for all 50 states. I have been an agent for over 7 years with a very popular insurance company.  Which I love don't get me wrong but knowing that I could only sustain and not maintain was breaking me down.  So I told my husband Im done.  I paid off bills saved money with out him knowing took from my 401k and told him that I was not buying Christmas presents. Got my business license, dba, tax id, and found a storefront down the street from my home.  Found the vendors to get me started with products (all the vendors that I used sucked).  The majority of the vendors were Koreans and they like to tell you what black people like.  Finally I just told one of them that we do not like this #&^@%*. We have to use it because this is what you stock in you stores which they own too.  But I perseveered and opened My Beauty Supply Store on Jan 12, 2010

6 comments:

  1. Wow congratulations! I know what you mean with that burning desire in your belly for something more substantial and something that will actually make you happy doing during the day. We are on track to starting our own business here as well. Congrats again...

    My best, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And congratulations to you also. What business are you starting. Dont get discouraged and stay focused and dont take No for an answer. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make all natural hair conditioner...maybe you'd be interested in some? Let me know.

    My best, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be great. I was just searching online looking for natural shampoos and conditioners. Plz email me at mybeautysupply@att.net and we can talk

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an inspiration! Black owned beauty supply stores are practically non-existent in my area, but black people are not, lol. Its the funniest thing isn't it? Good luck with your store!!

    ReplyDelete